Thursday, October 30, 2008

the next picasso?

So, after talking about it for weeks, my friend Malorie and I made drove to Hobby Lobby to get our utensils for our fun night in. We stood in front of the blank canvases for a while. I finally grabbed a rectangular shaped piece that was screaming at me to become artwork. Haha - little did it know that I had never done such a thing. I have always talked about wanting to paint, and there I was finally following through with my desire. It's always been in me, I was just too scared to try it out, too scared to fail. Here I was, finally getting past my fear of making a fool of myself, and just doing it (kinda like nike, but in a more artistic sense than sporty). Next, we got our paint (30% off, by the way, the Lord knew I am on a budget), which took longer than the canvas choosing. Malorie and I discussed together what we would paint and helped each other as we looked at all of the different yellows (canary, sunshine, buttercup) and greens (forest, apple, grass). Finally selecting the colors and the rest of our tools, we made our way to Malorie's house for a night of food and artistic thought. It was so much fun! I never knew that painting would be so fun. We popped in the movie "Devil Wears Prada" and laid all of it out, ready for us to dive on in. I started to paint the night sky with a big moon, reminding me of the season of life that I am going through. It was so much more than a painting to me. It was me, facing the giant of failure. I finally surrendered to thoughts of painting badly, and just painted because I wanted to and I loved it. It was more fun than I thought. My brush stroked my feelings of what it is like to be in the night sky, but even in that darkness of unknown there is light. It was so much fun. I finished very pleased with where I had taken the painting. 

Still have much left to do with it, but so far, i am pleased. It was my first official painting. Congratulations to me. 

2 comments:

malorie said...

you need to put up a picture of your work! (even though its not done) its great. so proud of you.

rebekah said...

i was thinking the same thing malorie said...

and wondering if there were peanut butter m&m's there?