Thursday, October 23, 2008

"nay hoh" means hello in Cantonese :)

Already I am learning Cantonese! On my way to being fluent. Well, not really. Hello is the only phrase I really remember. Hong Kong... what can I say? Each day was filled with the knowledge that the Lord has something huge planned for this city. Every day I sat and listened to the song "God of This City" by Chris Tomlin. He truly is the God of Hong Kong, the King of the people of Hong Kong. They are so desperate to hear truth. They are a free nation until 2047, so it makes so much sense to scream and shout the name of Jesus with urgency! 

Not only did we see the need for ministry there, but we laughed a whole lot. We became closer as a staff and we enjoyed one another every second. It's crazy that the Lord has let me be a part of a team so incredible. I am humbled that He has given me six new best friends. In all honesty, it has a whole lot to do with our leader, Matt Dean. He has taught us so much and lead us to look for the best in one another and to fight for one another. I'm not sure we'd be like this if it wasn't for him. Thanks, Matt. 

Top 10 Hong Kong Moments:

10. Eating BBQ tasting spaghetti and a Portuguese? restaurant in China while playing truth or   dare with some high school students

9. Riding on the LONGEST outside escalator in the world. No exaggeration here, literally seemed never-ending. 

8. Taking "Sticky Pictures" at the photo booths with the students... one word - HILARIOUS

7. The two benches in Kowloon Tsai Park where we sat and processed and took communion together.

6. Peeing in my first Squatty Potty. Haha!

5. Smelling the most disgusting smell ever - stinky tofu. (they soak the tofu in old vegetable juice for months, then fry it and serve it on a stick with ketchup)

4. Praying at the top of the Peek where you have the best view of the whole city. 

3. Eating squid. YUCK! At least I can say I did it!

2. Watching the taxi drivers spit openly on the sidewalk. 

1. Being able to experience Passion Hong Kong and see the hearts of desperation in the small fraction of college students who attended. 

Thank you to all of you who prayed for me!


No comments: